My picks for the top beauty looks on celebrities Rose Byrne, Emma Roberts, Elizabeth Banks and Lily Collins from the Met Gala “China: Through The Looking Glass” Costume Institute Benefit Gala.
THE LOOK: Modern glamour.
INSPIRATION: Inspired by the Chinese film In The Mood for Love, John Frieda International Creative Consultant Harry Josh gave Rose Byrne frizz-free, full-bodied waves for the 2015 Met Gala. “This red carpet is all about putting an individual spin on a common theme,” explained Harry. “The film focuses on fleeting youth, beauty and love, so we wanted the hair to look fresh, glamorous and romantic, taking inspiration from the storyline.”
Here is his step-by-step breakdown:
- To begin, Harry prepped her hair by applying John Frieda Frizz Ease Beyond Smooth Frizz Immunity Primer.
- Next, he took John Frieda Frizz Ease Curl Reviver Mousse and applied it to the roots for frizz-free lift at the crown.
- Then, Harry blowdried her hair section by section using the Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000 and a round brush, concentrating on creating extra volume at the roots.
- After creating the part, Harry set 2 inch wide sections down the center in Velcro rollers. He curled the remaining pieces of hair piece by piece. After all of the curls had set, he brushed out the hair for a voluminous wave.
- For a touchable finish, he spritzed John Frieda Frizz Ease Keraflex Flexible Hold Hairspray all over her hair.
THE LOOK: Refined with a hint of drama
INSPIRATION: John Frieda stylist Ryan Cotton gave actress Emma Roberts a polished, origami-inspired bun for the 2015 Met Gala. Cotton kept Roberts’ hair looking clean and polished in the front and opted for a subtle nod to China in the details: chopsticks. “Emma has a stunning face, so a clean look always benefits her and brings out her true beauty,” explains Cotton. “However, we wanted to create a little drama – the chopsticks and ‘bird of paradise’-inspired bun were the perfect way to align with the evening’s theme.”
Here is his step-by-step breakdown:
- Cotton applied John Frieda Frizz Ease Expert Finish Polishing Serum to wet hair from mid-shaft to the ends, ensuring vibrant shine and a smooth finish.
- Next, Cotton applied John Frieda Luxurious Volume Root Booster Blow Dry Lotion to the side part of her hair for extra volume and lift.
- Using a round brush, Cotton blowdryed the roots and bangs to a smooth finish and curled hair all over with a 2-inch curling iron for additional shine.
- Cotton then smoothed Emma’s hair into a side ponytail with a boar-bristle brush, securing it with an elastic band.
- Next, Cotton twisted the ponytail to the side in a long row, pulling straight ends out to create an origami-shape resembling a Birds of Paradise flower.
- To finish, Ryan sprayed John Frieda Frizz Ease KERAFLEX Flexible Hold Hairspray all over and added two pink chopsticks for a polished look.
Lancôme Ambassadress Lily Collins’ look by makeup artist Molly Stern:
Inspired by Lancôme Ambassadress Lily Collins’ Old-Hollywood elegance, makeup artist Molly Stern gave the actress subtly blushed cheeks and soft, sultry eyes. Stern played off the colors in Collins’ gown, dusting her lids with soft pink and applying a bright orange lip.
- Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum
- Kiehl’s Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate
- NEW Lancôme Miracle Cushion Liquid Compact Makeup in 110 Ivoire
- Lancôme Blush Subtil Crème in Coral Alize
- Lancôme Color Design Eyeshadow in Waif
- Lancôme Artliner in Navy
- Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara in Noir Mirifique
- Lancôme Sourcils Tint Longwear Eyebrow Pen in Brun
- Lancôme Rouge in Love in Miss Coquelicot
Inspired by her electric blue dress, celebrity makeup artist Fiona Stiles gave actress and director, Elizabeth Banks, a vibrant and modern look for the Met Gala tonight. See below for the steps Fiona used to Elizabeth’s edgy look using Avon products:
- To prep and hydrate Elizabeth’s skin, Fiona used Avon’s ANEW Overnight Hydration Mask overnight, and applied ANEW Reversalist Complete Renewal Express Wrinkle Smoother to create a blurred effect on the skin.
- Then with a damp sponge, Fiona applied Avon Ideal Flawless Invisible Coverage Liquid Foundation in Honey Beige, feathering out to the outer edges of the face to evenly blend.
- To finish setting the skin, Fiona used a Tom Ford Concealer in Medium and a dusting of Avon’s Ideal Flawless Pressed Powder in Medium Deep.
- Fiona then applied an Armani Bronzer Sun Fabric #200 under and along the cheekbones and penciled brows in.
- For the eyes, Fiona wanted to amp up the drama: She started with a neutral eye shadow base on the lids using shades #1 and #2 from Avon’s True Color Eye Shadow Quads in Berry Love. Then, using a liner that matched Elizabeth’s dress—Avon SuperShock Gel Eyeliner Pencil in Aqua Pop—Fiona drew a V-shape on the outer part of the eyes, connecting the top and bottom lines—a nod to a winged liner.
- To finish off this bold eye look, Fiona used Avon SuperExtend Winged Out Mascara in Blackest Black and adding a few extra coats to the outer corners of the eyes.
- To keep the emphasis on the eyes, Fiona opted for a nude lip and used Avon Ultra Color Lipstick in Matte Nude to finish.